9 things I’ve learned in the last 9 years
- The 5 stages of grief are a cycle, not a checklist. Grieving is an ongoing process with no end date.
- Celebrate every milestone. A decade of friendship, a year with someone you love, a month at a new job, a moment of positive thinking… celebrate it all.
- There are certain things you do not get over, you just get used to.
- It is cruel, the way we are able to relive emotional pain, and a gift that we cannot relive, but only remember, physical pain.
- Sad music perpetuates sadness. Go on and listen to something happy.
- Worry is a waste of precious time and energy.
- In miraculous stories angels always say the same thing: “It may not seem like it right now but everything is going to be okay.”
- Do not judge yourself for your feelings. Cry when you need to cry. Create when you need to create. Follow your traditions or make new ones. Sit with your confusion. Do not run from your own questions. Allow yourself to fully feel.
- Love completely.